Hollywoodland and Beachwood Canyon

Hollywood Sign

In 1923 the first steam shovels moved along the slope of the 500-acre Sherman & Clark Ranch atop Beachwood Drive.  The development was to be known as “Hollywoodland” and was announced in the LA Times as “one of the most attractive residential sections of the City of Los Angeles”.

The grand vision for Hollywoodland was to develop a Mediterranean Riviera in the Hollywood Hills.  Wealthy winter visitors to Los Angeles from the East Coast could select their hillside lot and their architectural style, then find their new home waiting for them the following season, fully built and landscaped by developers.  Hollywoodland enjoyed fame in the 1920’s as a successful development and America’s first themed residential community.

Much of the attention was due to a huge sign reading “Hollywoodland” originally erected as a temporary advertisement for the development.  Over time the sign was neglected and fell into disrepair.  By 1949 with many of the letters falling down the hillside the city of Los Angeles decided to raze the sign complete.  Public outcry for the sign saved it, the last 4 letters were removed and it became known as the Hollywood Sign.

Some of America’s foremost architects, including John Delario, Richard Neutra and John Lautner, have designed homes and commercial buildings here.

Hollywoodland remains today one of Los Angeles’ most popular neighborhoods.  It is known for its hamlet-like charm, recreational activities and historical significance, and many actors, writers, artists have called it home.

Tags: